Watson A. Young Scholarship
In the spirit of the life of a graduate of the University of Michigan Medical School (1942) and Michigan physician, the Watson A. Young Scholarship promotes academic excellence and college aspiration among students with financial need. These need-based scholarships support middle and high school students’ participation in summer opportunities at U-M that seek to develop students’ interests and abilities in academic disciplines and expose students to the experiences and possibilities provided by higher education.
- Be residents of the state of Michigan.
- Be in the 6th through 11th grades at the time of application.
- Demonstrate financial need.*
- Complete the Watson A. Young scholarship application, including essays.
*Annual family income of $65,000 and under.
Terms and Conditions
- Scholarship applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and are awarded as funds are available.
- Priority is given to first-time applicants.
- Scholarships are awarded once CEO has verified an applicant has been accepted into a U-M summer opportunity administered by or offered in direct partnership with a U-M school, college, or unit.
- If awarded, scholarships are paid directly to the U-M school, college, or unit sponsoring the summer opportunity.
- Payments are made after a student’s participation in the summer opportunity has been verified by CEO.
How to Apply
Students should apply for the Watson A. Young Scholarship shortly after they apply for a U-M summer opportunity.